How to create happiness in life by tidying up? Folding and storing your clothes is usually a chore especially when you have lots of clothes to wear. There is also the problem of having cluttered space in your room or house. I chanced upon a few lifestyle and decor articles which were raving about a new method of decluttering your home. It is called the “KonMari Method”. So what is the KonMari Method?
The KonMari Method actually came from this book called “The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up” By Marie Kondo. She is a Japanese organising consultant and also author of the book. She was listed as the top 100 most influential people by Time Magazine in 2015.
In the book, she has described about how decluttering can improve your life and habits. Which is I find it kinda true. By decluttering and tidying up, either at home or your workspace, one gets to clear up their minds and objective. It is the pursuit of ultimate simplicity and the key is to discard what you don’t need and creating happiness.
The KonMari Method
Here’s a few main points from the book:
- Tidy Up in One Shot, Instead of Little By A Day. You can never finish the job by tidying up a little. Nope your things pile up faster than you can clean up. That’s why you have “Spring Cleaning”. It’s about habits. It’s not easy to change habits and if you are not the kind who tidy everyday, its very difficult. Press that reset button by cleaning in one big swoop. “People cannot change their habits if they cannot change their lifestyle.”
- Sort By Category, Not By Location. Instead of cleaning by location. e.g.. drawer, table, etc. Do by category e.g.. books, clothes, etc. “Tidying up by location is a fatal mistake.”
- Before You Start, Visualise Your Destination. Think of what you want to have your home to look like uncluttered. Think of the lifestyle you dream of.
- Start By Discarding, All At Once, Intensely and Completely. When you tidy up things as soon as possible, you can see the change of space effectively. This suddenly change of scenery inspires you to maintain the order of tidiness. “The secret of success is to tidy in one shot, as quickly and completely as possible, and to start by discarding.”
- Selection Criteria – Does It Spark Joy? Choose the item you want to keep, not choose the item you want to throw. First ask yourself, does the item bring joy to you? “Keep only those things that speak to your heart. Then take the plunge and discard all the rest.”
Folding and Storing Your Clothes
In the book, one of the household hack she taught is about storage of clothes. Usually we fold and store clothes in a horizontal way like those in the departmental stores. Hence some of our wardrobes are built in a shelf-style so we can select our clothes where we can see them. Some of our wardrobes are drawer style, and hence the normal horizontal method is not a good way of storing and selecting your clothes when you want to wear them. So she has suggested to store your clothes VERTICALLY. This way will actually creates more space for your drawer and makes clothing selection much easier. She also teaches how to fold your clothes so that they are compact for storage in your drawers.
“The key is to store things standing up rather than laid flat.”
Here’s a video where she demonstrates on how to fold clothes the right way.
And the end product will be neatly stacked vertical clothes in your drawer!
Go experiment and change by tidying up your life to happiness!